If you are looking to escape from it all and searching for a family rural retreat with walking, hiking and cycling opportunities on your doorstep then these cottages situated in the foothills of the Peneda Gerês National Park, Northern Portugal offer just this.
The whole family will enjoy discovering Celtic ‘castros’ (fortified settlements) and medieval castles, ancient megaliths, rock carvings and dolmen graves which are over 5000 years old. Activities in the area include riding a garrano pony native to the northern part of Portugal, climbing 300 million year old granite rock faces, seeing the ‘espigueiros’ – granaries built to dry the corn crops; swimming in the lakes, rivers and waterfalls and cycling an old roman road. Wildlife includes wild boars, roe deers, foxes, eagles and the last surviving wolves.
The cottages have been recently rebuilt and are situated in the middle of the village of Sistelo which is a 90 minute drive from Porto or Santiago de Compstella in Spain. The price is 50 euros per night (a minimum 2 night stay based on 2 persons) and each additional person is 15 euros – a great base for your family holiday Portugal.
- Kids go free on family walking holiday in Lake District; from £339
- Up to 40% off PGL Easter activity camps when booked by 27 Feb
- Book a stay in March and get one night free; boutique holiday cottage in Deal, Kent
- Last chance to book Centre Parcs breaks from £259
- Glisten domes – luxury camping in the South of France from £75 a night